Monday, July 13, 2009

Hiking Rincon Beaches

We began our hike at 7:30. Our goal was to hike from Aguada/Rincon border to our beach home in Barrero, which is on the Rincon/Añasco border. The morning was cool and great for hiking. I had no idea how long it'd take. We took a gallon of water a piece, and a few granola bars. I guess I'm optimistic. I estimated our hike would take an hour.

We started late, 7:30 is late as it gets really hot on the beach. There was no convenient drop off point near the border so we started our trip at Casa Isleña. There's a parking area which makes a nice entry point. (The food at Casa Isleña is great. They close during the summer but reopen November.)

Our first stop was by Dennis Rich's home. He was outside with his dogs. His home has a wonderful view where the Atlantic and Mona Passage meet. Dennis owns Pools Beach Bar. If you haven't eaten there, add this restaurant to places to visit. They serve sushi, some raw, some fried and some tasty seaweed salads. Dennis also owns part of the old train track route that once circled the island. We hopped on the trail and this circled to Dome's Beach.

There was only one man in the water. Bobby from Mar Azul. Rincon is a small community, so everyone knows everyone. Bobby helps out during Surfrider beach clean ups. He was out in the water standing on his paddle board. He rents out surfboards and paddle boards. (Dennis is also a Surfrider volunteer) There were waves, slow ones, shorts ones, and they floated under Bobby's paddle board.
We hiked as much as we could along the beach and then cut though the road along the light house. This area seemed deserted. My son and I also volunteer for Surfrider and the area around Maria's we've helped clean up many times. Beaches in Puerto Rico are wonderful and many folks are still not aware that you can't leave trash on the beach. We saw a couple of Do Not Litter signs along the route.

We stopped along Steps Beach for a few pictures, a water break. If you're looking for things to do in Rincon, visit Steps Beach. The water is clear and wonderful. We continued our journey and stopped by The Spot Restaurant, for a granola break. The Spot is another place with good food, but they're only open during the winter like many other restaurants. The day was getting hot.

We passed by the public beach area, the Balneario. There was a nasty area we had to climb over, and then we were attacked by dogs, two dogs. I own dogs, so I'm not afraid of them. But these two dogs came up at us fast, teeth glaring. I picked up a big stick and tried yelling to scare them. Both stood their ground and inched to me. I thought of what a great picture they'd make, but one began turning to my right, as if to get behind me. They'd lunge forward and then inch back. I tried faking hitting them with the stick, but they weren't afraid. Instinct told me "release the stick", so I flung it at the bigger one. Apparently he was used to getting stuff tossed at him, he dodged the stick and ran back about 10 feet, then I tossed a fist full of sand, and he ran back to his house, followed by the other one. I've never been bitten by an angry dog and this is as close as I've come.


*
We continued our hike, and boy was it hot. We passed Tres Sirenas, Rincon of the Seas, Villa Cofresi. It was one straight walk. I left my watch at home, but the sun was overhead at noon. We came up to the Barco de Milan, a cement boat structure on a rock. We walked past the fishing village, which is in Barerro. We past the Horned Dorset and finally made it to Villa Orleans. It took you a minute or so to read this post, but it took us 4.5 hours to hike the beach. My feet were wrinkly.
sotheby's rincon puerto ricoRincon PR

No comments: